Hey, holidays seem to come and go as fast as you can recall. Trying to do some catching up here with all the greetings and whatnot. Happy Chinese New Year!! I don't really adore CNY in particular except for the bak kwah and the money $$$$. It's a chore to visit relatives. It's a chore to answer their lame questions and it is even a chore to eat so much just to entertain them. Perhaps that's the purpose of ang pow money. To visit the doctors at the end of the whole CNY to solve your upset stomach or overworked gastric problems. Lucky I am practising some self control here. =)
Anyway, lately, my boss had visitors from US (which explains why I haven't been updating my blog regularly). They are Prof Gary Andersen (Berkeley Lab) and Dr Laurel Crosby (Stanford). The way our boss treats his guests is really quite unsurpassable. He made one of the well-known filthy rich research institutes in Singapore pay for Prof Andersen's 5 days trip here! Wow! It's sometimes really amazing how thick my boss' face skin (???is....he's making that research institute pay for Prof Andersen's trip and yet only asking that prof to do a short talk there (less than 1 day). The other days? 1 day at St John's TMSI (so that my boss and Prof Andersen can con TMSI to collaborate together and hence my boss can squeeze some funding out from TMSI) and the other 3 days in our school (so that he can formulate things and collaborate more closely with Gary Andersen and get more shit for us to die earlier) ....amazing. Of cos, ultimately, my boss is the one benefitting from the whole thing!
Laurel Crosby is another nice lady guest. Just that she is a Postdoc Research Fellow and as for such, my boss (who in my own personal opinion is quite a snobbish person), can't really be bothered to accompany her throughout her whole trip. She's here for 3 weeks to try out some new stuff with our microarray. I was assigned to assist her on the microarray part and oh gosh. Her knowledge in microbiology and biology is way beyond my current knowledge. How can I possibly assist her?! What the hell....but I'm glad that I am given the opportunity to tag along and learn as much as possible from her. I just hope I don't embarrass myself too much...trying to smoke some cheem stuff out of the microarray part which she is quite unsure of. Haha...but think that's going to be tough to smoke my way out. Whatever...
So you see, CNY isn't over and I already got tonnes of shit on myself. What other ways to celebrate CNY can there possibly be?
No comments:
Post a Comment