Saturday, March 10, 2007

Fast food in Taiwan

It's another 13 days to go before I can embark on my journey back home. I kind of feel that time is passing so awwwwwwfully slow here and I wonder how I will endure these 13 days. To be fair, Taiwan is not that bad a country. It's just me. I am simply not used to this place. I don't know why I took it that bad this time. It might be the bits and pieces of differences that's driving me nuts.

For instance, they don't serve chilli sauce in KFC. Oh...you might say that's a small issue. But hey, it sucks to eat a full meal without chilli sauce. It's awful, to be exact. And the waitress at the counter slurs so much, that I asked her to repeat her question twice almost every time. I would go " Huh?" and she has to repeat. I think in the end, I pissed her off so much that when I asked her for chilli sauce at the end, she snappedly say they don't have it. Only pepper. I swore to myself that's the last time I am stepping into the KFC here.

I think MacDonalds is more tolerable (even though they don't serve the chilli sauce as well). At least they have the McSpicy. And I still don't know how to ask the waitress to change the drink to diet coke. I would say" Ni3 ke1 yi3 ba yin3 liao4 huan4 chen1....er.....*mind scrambling for the right word and finally give up*....er....diet coke mah?" She paused and looked at me, before saying " Ni shi shuo jian yi mah?". Feeling utterly embarrased and confused as to what she is referring to, I just nodded even though I don't have the faintest idea what the hell "jian yi" is. I just learned from my roommate today that it is the brand that they market diet coke with over here. So they refer to diet coke as jian yi. As if I would know.

But to be honestly fair, the service at MacDonalds was far better than in Singapore. My McSpicy took some waiting and rightaway, the waitress apologized and served me with a cup of coke while I waited. In Singapore, I think you might have to kneel down and beg them for a free cup of drink...(ok, that's exaggerating. No one will stoop that low for just a stupid cup of drink).

So I think I am going for another round of MacDonalds tomorrow, and try to ask for jian yi again. Heck, so much more convenient to get diet coke from the vending machine downstairs.

No comments: