I recount the numerous incidents I had encountered toxic or carcinogenic substances....
When I was in Finland doing my attachment, being an ignorant fool who only first encountered molecular microbiology research, I unsuspectingly took up every task the Finnish master student told me to do. I always wondered why they don't like to prepare the paraformaldehyde fixative. I always wonder why they make me prepare it instead. And soon, I knew. That sweet smelling gas emitted when paraformaldehyde powder dissolves in hot water is a devil in disguise. An excerpt from the Material and Safety Data (MSDS) sheet reads:
Paraformaldehyde
Experiments with animals suggest that this material may act as a carcinogen. Ingestion may be fatal. May cause heritable genetic damage. May cause irreversible damage to sight. Corrosive. May cause skin or eye burns or irritation. Can cause severe burning of mouth and stomach. Harmful by inhalation, ingestion or skin absorption.
Darn....but that's not all.
When I was back in Singapore after my attachment, I continued my studies in biofilm studies. My research requires me to prepare tonnes of acrylamide, together with Temed. And both are equally potent.
Acrylamide
Toxic. Possible human carcinogen. Possible teratogen. May cause heritable genetic damage. Readily absorbed through skin. Inhalation may be fatal. May cause CNS damage. May cause damage. The effects of which become apparent only after a delay of several months or years. Skin, eye and respiratory irritant.
TEMED
Corrosive. When inhaled, it is extremely destructive to tissues of the mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract. Symptoms may include burning sensation, coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headache, nausea and vomiting. Inhalation may be fatal as a result of spasm inflammation and edema of the larynx and bronchi, chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema.
And to make things worse, I remember once while I was preparing the nutrient broth at the weighing machine counter, the ignorant fool in me decided to do commando by not wearing gloves and went to pick up a spatula stained with some reddish brown powder. I am praying and praying till today that it is not ethidium bromide....please.
But some stupid idiots in our lab this year decided to disregard the safety of us all. The carelessness and simply bo-chupness in handling ethidium bromide is enough to kill us all. Just to list some examples: dipping the pipette into a bottle filled with ethidium bromide, staining the casting gel rack with ethidium bromide and spilling ethidium bromide all over the fume hood. For that person, please take a look at the MSDS:
Ethidium Bromide (EtBr)
EtBr is a potent mutagen (may cause genetic damage), and moderately toxic after an acute exposure. EtBr can be absorbed through skin, so it is important to avoid any direct contact with the chemical. EtBr is an irritant to the skin, eyes, mouth, and upper respiratory tract. It should be stored away from strong oxidizing agents in a cool, dry place, and the container must be kept undamaged and tightly closed.
I am scared. Really scared. I don't want to die so young. Any insurance companies willing to insure my life??
3 comments:
Have you found out who the culprit is? EtBr is not a joke. The molecular labs here, and I guess in most places, are very careful about such things. Perhaps the EtBr can be diluted to minimise direct exposure?
????????????
huh? What is wsw trying to say. We know who the culprit is...I had the msds excerpts pasted at the fume hood and notified the supervisor of the fyp student to subtly warn that student. I hope she gets it...
Post a Comment