Why me again?! I'm really super uber suay to the infinity!!
The first centrifuge spoilt when my student and I were trying to concentrate our products in a Microcon spin column. I was chatting with my fellow colleagues when I suddenly smell something burning and I very oh-so-casually asked them if they smell it to. Then the whole power tripped. I didn't even know it was due to the centrifuge as I thought it might be the laminar hood that was left on for the whole day. So I carried the centrifuge to the other lab and there! The power tripped again! The centrifuge is dead.
Just when I thought this is enough for the week, here comes the second shock. The other centrifuge that I was using exploded loudly when I was trying to elute my PCR amplicons in a Qiagen purification column. Yes, you heard me right. Explosion! Somehow, the lid flew out of its centrifugal force path and collided with the walls of the centrifuge machine. When we finally manage to open the lid, all we see were debris. Luckily, we have another spare lid and the machine still works fine. So we continued using the machine like before, lest with extra caution.
But as if the second shock is not enough, after another 3 days where it presumably looked/behaved normally, I was given another explosion. Darn. Why must it always be me? I am very sure I had everything checked. Darn. And this time round, the machine registered an error and refuses to work.
Boss is going to kill me for sure. I am sooooooo traumatized now.
4 comments:
Funnie! The centrifuge exploding. lmao. Wish I was there to see the expression on your face when that happened.
Thanks......^_^|||
hmm.. u wouldn't man.. she was so pissed with herself already..
but anyway, U spend more time in the lab than anyone else so the likelihood of u spoiling things is always higher.. it's not just you lah..dun worry too much and let it affect you in using lab equipment..
the centrifuge's life is up that's why..it could have been anyone.. not your fault lah..
expolding sounds so exaggarated.. wish I was there to see it too..luckily no one was hurt.
To use the word "explosion" was not a bit exaggerating....well, maybe a bit. Anyway, I told boss liao. Luckily he never scolded me..phew.
Post a Comment