Sunday, November 27, 2005

Parting

One of my students is going to leave Singapore for good. Back to Indonesia and then to US. I was helping out at his house yesterday, clearing his stuff and picking up those textbooks that I need. At the end of it, his mum suddenly looked at me in gratitude and told m," Thank you so much for your help.". Then he looked at my student and said," Vin, hurry up and say thank you to Peiying ??, thank her for her help over these 4 years."

There was a moment of silence. I was so awkward with this suddenly mushiness that I don't even know what to do. I laughed it off and said that there's no need for a thank you. Teenager at his age would be too embarassed to do such a thing. As long as I know he appreciates it will be enough. And darn...upon hearing what I said, my student actually started thanking me! Hey...if I weren't stoic and heartless enough, I would have been so touched and burst into tears!

I hate partings. There are bound to be tears in farewell. Emotional attachments are nothing but burdens. If only I am free of such burdens.

No comments: