Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Botany class: Introducing Portulaca!


Discovered a super easy-to-grow flowering plant that is most suitable for people like me (someone who is actually able to kill a cactus in 2 mths time, set this in the Guiness!). The genus is called Portulaca and the one that can be found in Singapore are of the species grandiflora.

The first time I saw these brightly flowered plants was in Kukup with my lab mates and I was really amazed by the array of different colors they have: yellow, pink (bright pink, dark pink, faint off-whitish pink), orange, violey and red. The second time that I saw it was at my tuition kid's house (yes, I always spend my time daydreaming and lazing around during tuition). They don't need much care at all! All they need is plenty of sunlight and of course watering (but don't need to do it everyday) and perhaps nutrient addition once in a while. Cool! Perfect for lazy gardeners like me!

Got myself a pot of pink and orange Portulaca some weeks ago and they are still surviving. In fact, it was really a pleasant surprise that the supposedly pink ones grew out some off-whitish pink and the orange ones have some pink ones among it! So, you can really get a pleasant surprise out of growing Portulaca.

Just in case you start to think I am the local distributor of Portulaca, I am not...

1 comment:

Peiying said...

Hey, I totally have no memories that I actually grew this plant at some point of time. Must have died right after I blogged about it.