Monday, December 11, 2006

Some unimpt things I have noticed

  • Taiwanese gals are more gentle, and they talk with an unbelievably sweet voice. I prefer the outspokenness of Singaporean gals.
  • Their English newspaper (China Post) is only about 20 pg thick.
  • Taiwanese are crazy over their own politics, but I think they do not really know what is happening in the outside world. Open the China Post and almost the entire newspaper is about their own news.
  • Politics in Taiwan is 300X more complicated than in Singapore. Vote-buying is true. There are accounts of such vote-buying given by my labmates here. Not the outright paying of money, but things like giving you extremely good lunchboxes or ferrying you from Taipei to Tainan etc (reminds me of the progress package we have received before the general election this year...hmmm..)
  • Their Eslite bookstore (Cheng Pin Shu Ju) which opens 24h and is opened nationwide resembles a combination of Borders and Kinokuniya (I miss both of them). English books are marked at an exorbitantly high price due to the low demand. They have a lot of Chinese translation of the current English bestsellers.
  • Their fruits and sweet corns are extremely nice! Very very sweet and cheap. It's the harvest season of mandarin orange, so I have having almost one every night.
  • The southern part of Taiwan (i.e. Tainan) has food which is very similar to Singapore. The base of the food is sweet, while the northern part of Taiwan is more saltish. Luckily I am in Tainan. That's why I like the food here!
  • Temperature has dipped over these 2 days. Think I have caught a flu. Underestimated the power of wind...sigh.

1 comment:

littlewolfie said...

Go! gentle taiwanese gals!!!!wo ho! =)