Wednesday, December 06, 2006

First day in Tainan

This post is dedicated to SW because she is stuck somewhere in her Ulu Pandan office. Hahah!

Here I am in Tainan. The Jetstar experience was not bad. Fast and safe. But the Taoyuan International Airport was quite a letdown. It didn't appear as fabulous as Hongkong International airport, not even mention our very own Changi Airport. Now I really really understand why our Changi Airport always make it to the top of the list. There's really no airport (or rather none that I have seen so far) that is as nice..as cozy...as busy...as orderly...as homely as Changi Airport. Hats off.

By the time I reach Taoyuan and cleared the custom, it is already 6pm. I was rather taken aback by how dark it is in Taiwan at 6pm. I have to remind myself that I am no longer in Singapore, which is in the equitorial belt. Get that idea off my head, PY!

The ride from Taoyuan to Tainan is terribly long. I can't remember how many times I have dozed off in the car....so I shall give that a skip, and not describe it here. By the time I reached the hostel, it is already 10pm (imagine...5h of car ride. Enough to kill. Should have taken a train)

And surprise surprise....when I stepped into the room together with Dr Wu's wife (Shi-Xian...thereby abbreviated as SX in the future), I thought I can see where my private room is. But no no...instead, I saw an empty bed (no mattress one wor....luckily I am trained to sleep on the floor since young). The room is very much like a HDB 1 room flat. There is a Taiwanese Masters student who is supposed to share the room with me. And because there is no private room, it means that I have no privacy at all. The thought of it sianz me off. Then I explored the toilet and eeeeee....I guess my room mate is either [1] very lazy to clean up because she is living alone in the room for quite some time, or [2] is untidy. The toilet bowl........yucks is the only word I can say. To the extent that I took 2h on the next day (Saturday) to scrub the toilet bowl and the bathing unit. So you guess what's the state. Now I am glad to say the toilet is nice and bearable liao.

Living together with a stranger, with totally different lifestyle requires lots of patience. For example, I sleep early and she doesn't. I am still trying to get used to it. So I try to reach home late at around 10pm, sleep at 1130pm, and get out of the house at 7am the next day. So that I don't have to interact with my room mate and minimize any possible conflict. I guess I am really anti-social. Forgive me.

Do check out the photos of my hostel in Flickr!

2 comments:

littlewolfie said...

I pity the driver who had to stay awake and drive continuously fo 5 hrs to fetch you to the hostel.

Looks like your room mate has given you a bad impression. I tot girls r supposed to be "cleaner"..I dislike dirty and untidy rats too!

Starsnail said...

The drivers are Dr Wu and his wife. They rotate and drove the car. Amazingly, SX can drive really well (much better than Dr Wu). Her parallel parking skill is amazing!