Monday, August 15, 2005

Teenage life

My tuition kid once lamented something which struck a chord in me. So people just study their way, grow up, find a job, get married and then have a family, bear kids, grow old and then wait to die? Pathetic isn' it? Although this statement has already long been embedded in me and I had resigned to it, I can't help but feel rather shocked when I heard it coming from him. He is after all only a 17 year old kid who hasn't even finished his secondary school education. I thought he was pretty mature for his age to even think of that.

I tried to recall what was going through my mind when I was a 16 year old kid. Nothing in particular. I think I was too engrossed in my O levels, whether I can make it to Hwa Chong, whether I can mug finish my TYS and which show was broadcasting on the TV at that time. To think of this, it really does sound pathetic. In fact, it sounds like the life of a nerd.

But seeing the way my tuition kid dreads his everyday life, complaining how tired and lack of freedom he has, I think it is very really not too bad in being a focused nerd. At least, I don't think I was so bothered at that time. I was carefree, with no expectations, commitments and responsibilities in life that I desperately need to meet. My decisions that I made at that time were not bound by anyone. I live by my own decisions. I don't have to answer to anyone but rather only to inform them of what I intend to do. I am not lost about the meaning in life as I see short term goals ahead of me that I ought to fulfill.

Now that I think of those days at my age (24 yr..sigh), I think I really do miss out a lot on my teenage days. People always say teenagers experience the most lost period of a person's entire life. They are at an age where they try to emulate adults, but do not gain the recognition from both the legal system and society. They are at an age where they think they are mature enough to make their own decisions but ultimately find that they are not so to bear with the outcome of their decisions.

I don't seem to have this problem, and when I say this, I don't mean it with any tinge of cockiness. In fact, sometimes I wonder if I am abnormal why my teenage days appear to be so smooth-sailing. What if a really rocky storm comes knock me out of my bed of roses? Will I be able to take it as well as my tuition kid who has already experienced it?

Is it good or bad? I wonder...

No comments: