Friday, August 19, 2005

Life's unpredictability

I can't believe it! In fact, I was staring in disbelieving when the results announced Weilian to be the male champ, and he is going to be the one who gets to release the EP and perform on the National Stadium stage! Wtf. I have no personal grudges against him. I think he is a nice guy, judging from the way he interacts and responds on the 933FM morning show. But he simply doesn't have what it takes to be a superstar! I am not trying to discriminate people with disabilities. In fact I am treating him as a normal person throughout this whole competition and hence that statement.

What are my arguments then?
Firstly, during the final performance, only his first song was better that Junyang's. His second was on par and his third was definitely weaker. His asthmatic breathing sound is too loud, no thanks to the magnification of the microphone that he had held too near. Secondly, the way he carried out all of the songs were too stiff and lack emotions (especially for the third piece). I can only hear him singing but he doesn't bring me into the whole picture the song is trying to relate. Thirdly, his charisma on the stage is definitely weaker than his competitor.

I don't hide the fact that I am a supporter of Junyang. I wish he was the one who won. In fact I want him to win. But that doesn't mean those comments above I made were biased or what. I am sure any rational person will agree with me. If it is not for those irrational sympathy votes that capsized Junyang's hopes, then I think it must be the plotting scheme of Mediacorp.

Are we treated like fools? Maybe the winner has already been set.

1 comment:

Reborn said...

Well, if you read Sunday's ST or was it the Newpaper, there was an article on voting for Weilian.

Call it rooting for the underdog or rooting to inspire you and the millions of people around, they are all the same.

It boils down to one thing. Sympathy.

Would the writer or the other callers do such a thing if he wasn't visually impaired?

While I have nothing against him personally, I just don't like his voice, unless he gets rid of that nasal noise that he makes.

It may see that he could be the eventual winner though.