Thursday, February 28, 2013

My cat

Once I arrived in Saudi Arabia, I started trolling the KAUST Pet facebook group to look for cats to adopt. I sent multiple messages to people who posted that they have cats looking for people to adopt. And one of the photo shows this cute being:



To be honest, Filfil wasn't my first choice. But the lady who wanted to adopt his brother was most prompt in replying to my message. And the plan was to have both him and his brother transported to KAUST from Jeddah so that I can take a look at him. I was hesitant initially. I was second-guessing myself as to whether I am indeed ready for a pet. What if the cat is a menace? Will I be a responsible owner?

When Filfil and his brother were brought to the lady's house, she called me to come over to her house on an evening to take a look at him. I went down, and saw both of them hiding beneath the blankets. Filfil was a bit more daring. He came out of hiding eventually while his poor brother was too traumatized to even be seen. The lady's first cat hated both of them, and came to teach Filfil his business. Weirdly, Filfil did not attack back. Since Filfil was still too scared for us to approach, I had to leave without him. The next day, I heard from the lady that Filfil started to hump his brother and is a true menace against his brother. She asked that I take him away if I am really intent to adopt him. I did so immediately on the same evening. This all happened about 1 week after I arrived in Saudi Arabia.

Surprisingly, Filfil is really a human cat. In a way, he seems to like humans more than cats. He is really sweet to humans, trying to worm his way around legs whenever his favorite person is walking. He likes to play prance when you are getting ready to sleep. He likes to eat and eat and eat, including grasses. Goes mad over cat grass. He doesn't react to catnips. He meows loudly after doing his peeing and pooping so as to command his owner to clean up the stuff. He meows loudly if he thinks you have been sleeping for too long. If you ignore his meow and refuse to wake up, he will prance underneath the blanket and make as much noise as possible to wake you up. He likes to roll on the floor and looks at you with his big round eyes. Sometimes he likes the belly rub. Sometimes he walks off when you try to pet him. He likes to look at birds and anything that's moving. Basically, that's my cat. And I call him meow meow instead of Filfil.


No comments: