1) Everyone is unique and there's no one-model-fits-all management style
- Student M: Rather smart, no microbiology background but has engineering background, thought process are that of a typical engineer -relevance, practicality, feasibility, finds it hard to grapple with the intangible microbiology concepts, laidback, enjoys life, procrastinates at times, works on goals and deadline
- Postdoc I: Has basic microbiology background but no experience in the state-of-art methods since he came from a developing country and they don't have access to such equipment, takes time to teach, follows instructions, works hard, interacts well with people
- Postdoc C: postdoc from hell, english comprehension and oral skill suck big time, thinks he knows a lot, disengaged, no team spirit. I hired postdoc C when I was in a hurry. During the interview, I should have noted that it is really because his English sucks, and not because the Skype connection was intermittent.
Never make a rush decision - it will come back and haunt you.
Unfortunately, an impatient soul like me always wants to make a decision in a split second. Now all I need is the guts to fire that person.
2) Develop core focus and don't let anyone or anything derail you
- University invests in you because they see a potential in you. That's what most advisors will tell you. But I think there's ought to be a Part 2 to that statement. University invests in you because they see a potential in you to become XX or YY in that field. They are not looking for an exact replica, but somewhat a clone of XX or YY. They won't let you know that, but that's how they evaluate a candidate behind closed doors. If they see you as a jack of all trades but masters of none, you will lose out to another candidate with a more relevant core niche. Of course, the flip side of developing a core niche is that you dig yourself into deeper hole. Either you get rooted there or you get buried there.
I made the mistake of asking Student M to work on a project that I do not wish to develop my niche on. At that point, I had no project, was desperate, and so when my boss asked me, I said yes.
Have the balls to say no, and don't jump in everything even when you are desperate.
3) Industry people wants to do everything, academic people wants to stay focused
- Industry people who gets into the academia world will never behave like an true academic. They are usually the people who talks during faculty meetings, they are usually the ones who become pals with the industry partners (and hence gets most money), they are usually the ones who seem to "know" everything and do everything. The academic people wants nothing to do with industry, unless industry throws money at them without asking for specific deliverables (which is something that will never happen).
4) Some colleagues are nice when you don't talk about work, but not the best people to work with
- Just talk about anything else but work. When the work topic pops up, feign agreement, procrastinates and don't follow up on it. Repeat the cycle as much as you can, and hope they catch the hint.
5) Administration sucks
- Need I elaborate more?
No comments:
Post a Comment