I was out with my friend yesterday and we took a long bus ride back home. When we got on the bus, it was full of people and we were made to sit apart from each other. I happen to sit down to a gal whom I thought was fast asleep. Once I sat down, a young lady listening to ipod started laughing crazily at me. I was puzzled but I paid no heed to her. Just then, the gal sitting next to me started going "crazy" and performed some weirdo hip-hop or ghost-possessed dance. She then put on a messed up wig, tapped me lightly on my shoulder and seeked for my attention. When I turned to look at that possessed gal, the young lady listening to ipod screamed, "You are sitting next to a monster!" I'm glad I thought it wasn't at all amusing, and all I could muster was a darn cynical smirk at that messed-up soul. Eventually, she got no fun out of me and gave up her seat to my friend so that we could sit together. But that didn't stop her from making a mess of herself. She continued dancing that ghost-possessed, god-knows-what thingy for the passengers in the double decker bus.
My friend couldn't help but wonder aloud if they are high on drugs?
This crap made me think of the recent incident that happened in Holland Village. A PhD student basked in full glory with her boyfriend, and chatting up with people at Wala Wala. When she turned up in court, she doesn't want to face the TV crew and chose to hide her face with a ducky umbrella. A ducky umbrella?! Is she trying to make a light-hearted joke out of this? Honestly speaking, I don't want to sound like a typical Singaporean who makes a big fuss out of this. I know this is a conservative society. Sometimes, we need to loosen up a bit and make jokes out of daily life. People call this a liberal expression of self-rights. And I concur with that. I'm sure they don't deserve a jail term. And so when it turned out that they were fined only 2K, I thought it was a just sentence. After all, they should realize that the opportunity cost involved in this act is worth more than 2K.
Are we misinterpreting what is the true definition of expressing our own rights?
To me, expressing our own views and be responsible towards it is very important. And that includes accepting all possible consequences that tag along with it. A lot of people promise this and that, but never deliver. You can call this bullshitting. Others hesitate in making promises, but try their best to prove through solid actions. I respect the latter. Unfortunately, this society seems to recognize the former but not the latter. So do we have to be loud to tell the others who we are?
I am who I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment