Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Be prepared for the worst but remain optimistic throughout

That wasn't meant to be an ironical statement, even though it may sound very contradictory.

I guess I was very much influenced by my father. He was the one who always taught me to expect for the worst possible outcome.

When I was in P6, I listed out secondary schools like Broadrick, Swiss Cottage (?) and Outram Secondary School as few of the choices. It wasn't really a case of being unsure of my capabilities (or was it?), but I must have been thinking that I shouldn't give myself too much stress in trying to aim for those top schools. I think miracles do happen. And I made it. (Though I come to regret my 4 yrs in RV...I made friends there during my Sec 1 and 2, but I don't like my sec 3 and 4 class. And I still don't like them.) Even after I got into RV, while my parents were rejoicing for me, I wasn't happy. I remained pessimistic and I dreaded life everyday. My secondary school friends chided me for being so pessimistic. You can't blame me for inheriting my father's pessimism....he saw a psychiatrist for that.

I don't know when I start to think positively. Was it the university days? One day, I woke up, stare into space, recall back my life and realise I am still the lucky one. Who am I to complain? My parents are healthy, I have my friends, I enjoy my research and I am unburdened.

True...every day of my life (and so is yours) is full of ups and downs. Maybe comprising mostly of downs, but look around you. Were you like the Tiong Bahru uncle who was hit by a stroke and now had to rely on his cane to move about? Were you like my neighbouring kid upstairs who's suffering from hyperactivity and autism, and is unable to control your emotions?

If you are not, why not start thinking positively? I am doing so now.

P/S: I was kidding about the part where I stared into space and suddenly became optimistic.

2 comments:

littlewolfie said...

haha... was my gift helpful??

Starsnail said...

hmm..actually I havent read it yet. Ops!